West Greeley Conservation District has been busy distributing a wide variety of small grant funding to schools, and community groups to help enrich conservation experiences. Here are a few examples of ways the District has helped fund projects:
- Assisted with a planting and harvesting garden plots – “Grow a Row” at Plumb Farm, with the produce benefiting the Weld Food Bank.
- Supported a student’s Senior Project at University Schools planting trees in the natural space/wildlife habitat west of the school.
- Supported the planning and planting of a Community Garden at Salida del Sol Academy Charter school. This included composting.
- CASE equips teacher training to elevate student experiences in the agriculture classroom to better prepare students for success in college and careers emphasizing science, technology, engineering, and math.
- Field trip transportation for students to get out of their classroom and learn more about agriculture and enjoy outdoor conservation experiences.
- Earth Day / Arbor Day tree planting at Prairie Heights Middle School.
- Joined the Greeley/Evans School District 6 Garden Tower Education project to build 14 traveling garden towers on caster wheels to visit classrooms and schools district-wide.
NOTE: They are still seeking six more sets of caster wheel kits for their last four tower gardens. Please see the Small Grant D-6 Garden Tower project summary and photo.