Conservation Scholarship Opportunities
In February many high school seniors are thinking about Valentine’s Day…but if they have their eyes wide open and hope to attend college in the Fall, they are probably also searching and applying for scholarship opportunities to complete and submit by April.
West Greeley Conservation District (WGCD) has more than doubled our scholarship award program to $5,000 per student. The deadline for submission of a scholarship packet from eligible students living within WGCD boundaries, who plan to attend a Colorado institution of higher learning, is 5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 11th, 2018.
– A map showing our District boundaries can be found at:
– You can check your home address for WGCD tax fees at the County Assessor’s site: https://www.co.weld.co.us/apps1/propertyportal/
– Students who do not live within West Greeley’s service area may opt in using this County Assessors form, and submitting it to our district office.
Scholarship selection is based on the student’s…
▪ Demonstrated scholastic ability, having earned a 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale)
▪ Academic commitment to studies in a conservation related field such as:
Natural Resources Environmental Studies
Agriculture Animal Science
▪ Financial need
▪ Extracurricular activities, volunteer service and/or conservation projects that impact
The application process includes:
- Filling out our application form found at: http://www.wgcd.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2018-Scholarship-application.pdf
- Composing a typed 2-page personal essay that addresses the importance of agriculture and conservation to you and summarizes your school and community activities and accomplishments
- Summarize your career goals
- A completed up-to-date high school and/or college transcript
- Two confidential, sealed letters of reference from someone NOT related to the applicant must be mailed to:
West Greeley Conservation District
4302 W. 9th St. Rd.
Greeley, CO 80634
These letters should speak to the potential scholarship recipient’s personal, civic and academic accomplishments. They can be from a teacher, principal, advisor, neighbor, employer, counselor, or parent of a friend (not a family member).
- Applicant might be contacted for an interview
West Greeley Conservation District (WGCD) will accept submissions from:
- Incoming College Freshman
- Renewal (past Freshman recipient)
- Continuing Education (Sophomore, Junior or Senior)
And occasionally a graduate student seeking a
- Master’s Degree
The students who are selected will be notified on or before June 1st with every effort being made to notify your school prior to high school graduation. Scholarship winners must notify WGCD of intent to refuse or accept the scholarship no later than June 10th.
Completed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include your application, essay, goals, transcript(s) and in the email subject line state the category/level of the scholarship you are applying for along with your last name in All CAPS. Your two personal character reference letters should be postmarked the same day you email your packet.